Friday, October 12, 2012



The last episode of Doctor Who before the break leading up to the annual Christmas episode was of course another piece of Brit science fiction television genius. As often happens when I watch Doctor Who, it was an emotional roller coaster of a viewing experience that left me in tears. Getting choked up is not a horribly rare happening whilst I watch the show, which is a compliment of course at how emotionally attached to the series I've become.

The following contains spoilers about The Angels Take Manhattan, but I can't imagine that anyone reading this blog is not up to date on Doctor Who. I'm sure that you, like me, put life on hold and drop everything as soon as a new episode of the series becomes available to watch. If your priories are messed up and you have not watched it yet, and for some reason are still reading this, do feel free to go away now.

Doctor Who is never afraid to switch things up, hence there being 11 different actors playing the same character in the past 50 years, and this latest episode marked the finale for a couple of beloved characters. I took the ending of the episode as bitter-sweet, a good-bye to Amy and Rory, but at least they get to live together happily ever after in NYC. Unbeknownst to me, not everyone took the ending as I did. Evidently most thought that it was a tragic ending the left Amy and Rory stuck living in a hotel room captured by the evil alien statue monsters for the rest of their days.

I think it was an interesting pop-culture experiment in what kind of person you are: glass half empty or glass half full...positive or negative. Well, today the BBC posted an addendum to the episode which sheds a bit more light on what happened to Amy and Rory. It's from the actual BBC, has Rory narration, hence I'm counting it as canon. And most importantly, it proves that I was right in my hopefulness and everyone else was wrong in their negativity. Please enjoy the attached video, and yes, it made me cry.

No comments: