Wednesday, November 07, 2012


We trekked south along the strip to go and see the famous Welcome to Vegas sign. The landmark was much smaller than I expected, and there was an Elvis in attendance, seemingly kinda' just hanging around. What's amazing about Vegas is that for a city that's so famously big and loud and bright, if you look out on the horizon there is endless an endless desert of nothing. Down by the welcome sign, there's nothing much visible to the South, and if you look East, a lot of sun-baked sand.

We partook in lazing about in the Riviera pool, and later on did the slightly more exciting and maybe a bit more dangerous zip-lining over Fremont Street. For some reason I was zipping at an exceedingly high and seemingly non-stopping speed, and for a brief second I thought I might just fly right through the end of the line. Luckily the scientific principal and safety enforcements placed on the structure stood true. While walking along the actual Fremont Street we witnessed lots of giant Neon signs, girls dancing on bars, and a Superman chatting with a pair of Elvis (there's a lot of poorly costumed folks trying to trick you into taking a picture with them in trade for money in Vegas).

We ate dinner at an impressively giant buffet, then took in some musical Broadway culture with The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. It was very good, but I love the movie and portraying a role that I saw Dolly Parton portray first = big shoes to fill. I also missed her original songs from the production, which were done for the movie and aren't in the stage show.

The night was capped off with a visit to fake New York City, and a ride on their roller coaster. It provided a lovely view of the city at night, and simultaneously made me feel like I was about to die on numerous twists and turns in a short few minutes of time.

Also, while visiting Vegas, Obama was re-elected as President of the United States. I can confirm nor deny that I assisted his victory with a vote.

No comments: