Sunday, December 29, 2013


Even in this day and age, I find that many a person still think comic books are all Spider-man, Batman and Archie. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I like Spider-man, Batman and Archie. Comic books are more then their spandex, vigilante and teen hi-jinks roots though. Comic books are as diverse as anything you'd find in any form of media intake. On television, you can find programs ranging from Sesame Street to Breaking Bad, and theatres like the Mayfair you might be able to catch a family friendly cartoon, an Oscar hopeful, and a grindhouse classic all on the same day. Sometimes I listen to Gershwin, sometimes I listen to Weezer, sometimes I listen to the Wu-Tang Clan.

Comics are equally diverse in their offerings for your reading pleasure. My latest indie comic recommendation is the 2010 french book from Julie Maroh, Blue Is The Warmest Color. It's a beautifully illustrated tale of true love in black and white and blue that should at the the same time inspire you and leave you heartbroken. It's gotten a lot of press due to the rated NC-17 extra sexy movie adaptation winning the Palme D'or at Cannes this year (and we have it at the Mayfair soon).

Blue Is The Warmest Color knocked me out, I look forward to reading more from the creator. It will be added to my go to list of examples for excellence in comic books.

No comments: